Insect processing systems
Insect processing offers a viable solution to the challenges of future food security and organic waste disposal. Global population growth and a 50% increase in demand for protein-rich food supply make insect processing systems an imperative to provide high nutritional feedstock for poultry and livestock. Alfa Laval insect processing systems make it possible to extract high-quality insect proteins and lipids – safely, reliably and more sustainably than dry rendering processes.
Sustainable, high-quality protein meal for animal and aquaculture nutrition
- High-quality end products, low energy consumption
- Low temperature, short process time
- Hygienic design with gentle product handling throughout
- Quick start-up and shutdown time
- Modular approach for step-wise capacity expansion
Nutrient-rich insect feedstock provides a valuable source of protein and fat for fish, poultry and livestock. Alfa Laval insect processing systems are sustainable, high-yield solutions that reduce emissions and use less land, water and energy than conventional systems.
Alfa Laval and partner Bühler Insect Technology Solutions (BITS) can provide full-scale insect processing solutions – from specific units to a complete plant for insect rearing and processing. At the core is the proven Alfa Laval Centriflow continuous wet rendering system to extract valuable proteins and lipids.
This combined expertise optimize industrial insect processing plants. The result? Higher protein recovery, more energy savings, and greater flexibility to ramp up production to meet growing demand.
How the insect processing equipment works
The Alfa Laval Centriflow insect systems are the core of the insect processing system, which is based on Alfa Laval’s proven core equipment. Wet rendering involves these steps:
- Raw material preparation: pre-cutting larvae to improve pumpability, heating and separation efficiency
- Heating: direct heating via steam injection into a melting tube or indirect heating using Alfa Laval Contherm scraped surface heat exchanger
- Separation in 3 phase decanter: dewatering the heated raw material into solids, stick water and lipids stream by means of a three-phase decanter
- Purification of lipids: purification the lipids fraction by means of centrifugal separation
- Concentration of stick water: Removal of water from the stick water and recovery of the water-soluble protein fraction using the Alfa Laval AlfaVapTM plate evaporator
- Drying and meal handling: Final dewatering of the decanter solids and stick water concentrate into the high quality insect protein meal